AND RESPONSIBLE FINANCIAL OFFICER (RFO)
Our client currently inviting applicants for the role of Town Clerk to the Town Council working approximately 18 hours per week, plus attendance at regular evening Council meetings and weekend events, being responsible for one other member of staff, the Deputy Town Clerk
The work of the Clerk covers a wide variety of tasks which includes:
Organising meetings including preparing the agenda, taking and producing the minutes and ensuring that Councillors have the papers they require. Attending evening and daytime meetings of the Council, sub committee's and some working groups.
Maintaining the Council's financial records, including banking, preparation of the annual accounts and assisting in obtaining quotes and tenders for agreed expenditure. Some knowledge of book keeping procedures is required.
Receiving and circulating correspondence, drafting replies and following up actions agreed at meetings. This will include planning applications where time deadlines must be met.
Advising the Council on making lawful decisions and policy - seeking advice from external organisations as appropriate and researching topics of interest to the Council, for example the availability of financial grants.
Helping the Councils to manage projects and maintain standards around the Town.
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate:
- Knowledge of the requirements of the Council and its services
- Competency as an administrator with excellent IT and financial management skills,
- Preferably with Local Government knowledge. Ideally Candidates would also hold the Certificate in Local Council Administration
- Ability to work on their own initiative
- Supervisory skills and experience of managing a small workforce
- Have excellent people skills, including the ability to work with Councillors, members of the public and on occasions the local media
- The ability to use and access e-mail, Microsoft Office and other relevant technology is necessary
To attract exceptional candidates, the posts are being advertised at Local Government NJC SCP 26 to 30, pro-rata to the number of hours worked, and subject to experience and qualifications.
This is a full time equivalent of £23,398 to £ 26,822. Pro-rata holiday pay and all reasonable expenses are also paid.Applicants should apply with a full CV together with a covering letter stating why they are suitable for the position to: Chairman of the Council, Oakham Town Council, Victoria Hall,39 High Street, Oakham, Rutland LE15 6JD
Closing date by 31st January 2017